The Sunday Mirror Newspaper
Your newspaper gift can be further personalised by adding the recipient’s name, the occasion, and a personal greeting on the Certificate of Authenticity, which acts as a guarantee that your copy of the Sunday Mirror is a genuine original newspaper.
Historic Newspapers have the UK’s largest archive of the Sunday Mirror, stretching back over one hundred years. To see the newspaper titles we have for your chosen special day, simply select the date in the box below.
A Brief History of the Sunday Mirror
The Sunday Mirror newspaper is part of Mirror Group Newspapers, which is a subsidiary of Trinity Mirror plc. It is printed in tabloid format and as of December 2008, it has an average weekly circulation of 1,315,188 copies. The newspaper takes a centre-left political stance and has supported the Labour Party since 1945.
The Sunday Mirror was founded as “The Sunday Pictorial” by Harold Harmsworth (later Lord Rothermere) on 14th March 1915. The newspaper was originally launched as a photographic journal and Harmsworth declared that it would be the sister paper of The Daily Mirror, carrying the motto “The Great Sunday Picture Newspaper”. Although printed in tabloid format since formation, the Sunday Pictorial was aimed at the conservative middle classes and thus contained features on fashion and society. It was an immediate success, reaching a stunning circulation of over one million copies within six months.
Lord Rothermere sold his shares in Mirror Newspapers between 1931 and 1935, but this did not mark the end of the Harmsworth dynasty’s influence on the Sunday Pictorial. In 1935, Lord Rothermere appointed his nephew, Cecil Harmsworth King, as a director of the newspaper. Cecil King took charge of political coverage and he appointed Hugh Cudlipp as editor of the paper in 1937. Together, they transformed the Sunday Pictorial into a left wing newspaper for the working classes and it supported the Labour Party for the first time at the 1945 General Election. By the end of the 1940s, circulation rose to an average daily sale of five million copies, outselling its sister paper, the Daily Mirror. Circulation peaked at around 5.5 million copies during the 1950s.
In 1951, Cecil King was promoted to Chairman of Daily Mirror Newspapers Limited. King added the Scottish Daily Record and the Sunday Mail to the company in 1955. He subsequently acquired Amalgamated Press (later renamed Fleetway) in 1958 and Odhams - publisher of the Daily Herald and Sunday People - in 1961. He then formed the International Publishing Corporation (IPC) on 31st December 1962. IPC quickly became the world’s largest publishing enterprise and Cecil King presided as Chairman of the company between 1963 and 1968.
The Sunday Pictorial was renamed “The Sunday Mirror” on 7th April 1963, forty-eight years after its foundation as the sister paper of the Daily Mirror . The first edition of the Sunday Mirror was published as issue number one, rather than carrying on from the last edition of the Sunday Pictorial.
Although IPC had part-owned Reed, a reverse take-over took place in 1970, meaning that Reed International took charge of IPC. In 1974, Reed separated the company into two sub-groups; IPC published the magazine titles and Mirror Group Newspapers organised the newspaper holdings, including the Sunday Mirror. Mirror Group Newspapers was sold to Robert Maxwell on 12th July 1984. He was proprietor of the Sunday Mirror until his death in November 1991.
The Sunday Mirror was relocated to its current premises at 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, during March 1994. The move was overseen by David Montgomery, who was Chief Executive of Mirror Group Newspapers between 1992 and 1999. The company was subsequently taken over by regional newspaper publisher Trinity, forming Trinity Mirror.
The Sunday Mirror moved to full colour production on 11th May 2008, although it had been regularly printing colour photographs since 12th June 1988.
The Sunday Mirror Supplements
A colour magazine was first provided with the Sunday Mirror on 19th June 1988, following the newspaper’s re-launch in full colour. It originally appeared as a monthly magazine, but was printed weekly from 4th September 1988. It was called “The Sunday Mirror Magazine” and contained features, interviews, recipes, fashion, beauty advice and a cartoon and puzzles page. “The Sunday Mirror Magazine” was replaced by “Personal” magazine on 8th September 1996, with a greater emphasis on health and relationships. The television listings section of the newspaper was merged into the “Personal” supplement on 4th January 1998.
The last edition of “Personal” was printed on 14th April 2002. It was replaced by the “M Celebs” magazine one week later, which had an increased number of pages and contained features with a greater focus on celebrities. On 23rd May 2004, the magazine was re-branded “Celebs on Sunday” and was expanded to include real life stories.
A second magazine was added to the Sunday Mirror on 11th January 2004 with the launch of “Homes and Holidays”. This magazine contained travel and property features and replaced an earlier newspaper supplement called “Holidays”.
In addition to the “Celebs on Sunday” and “Homes and Holiday” magazines, the Sunday Mirror currently includes a football newspaper supplement called “Premplus”. This sports section is published every week during the football season.